Friday, January 29, 2010

Hair Cut

I've never been much for beauty routine being more of a "get up and go" kinda girl, and a tomboy most of my life to boot, however a good haircut is the kind of luxury I never tire of, especially when the grow out from the last cut is flopping around like limp noodles and getting in the way of everything, particularly my eyes. (see fig. 1)

I met the guys at Baci nearly 5 years ago, introduced by a friend, and I've been a loyal customer ever since. It sounds weird to refer to myself as a customer because over the years, I like to think that I've formed a special sort of friendship with Casey, similar I suppose to that of a bartender and regular lush, but without the alcohol. No matter how long I go between cuts (and it's usually 4-6 months), I'm always greeted with a side hug, a shampoo, and we dive right into familiar banter of celebrity miscreants, anecdotal stories from Casey's foray into the world of stand-up, and a general feeling of mutual agreeableness.
All the while, he's cutting and slashing with a fervor that honestly makes me a little nervous at times, but like Edward Scissorhands' ladies, I've never, not once been disappointed by a cut.
For me, comfort trumps style-always. Not having to think about my hair is much more important to me than looking good, but the brilliance of Casey is that I don't have to choose between the two. It's a fine line between edgy/artistic and cliche; today's Rihanna is tomorrow's Kate Gosselin and if I have a vain fear, it's in looking like a suburban soccer mom (which is funny because when you get down to it, that's what I am. And it's an honest job, but that doesn't mean I have to dress the part.). In a world where I just don't have much time to think about my appearance, it's nice to be able to wake up and go without any fuss, feeling the most myself with all my hair gone.
(can you tell how awkward I feel getting my picture taken?)

8 comments:

  1. Super models often look awkward or angry...the former is always move enduring and appealing. Wonderful hair, great top too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look amazing! There is no whiff of soccer mom about you, from head to toe:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is a stinking fabulous cut - i've already decided i'm chopping all mine off for the summer, may can't come soon enough!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1) love your hair
    2) love your shirt
    3) you lost all the baby weight! you look fabulous!
    4) might have to get a hair cut next time i'm out there..

    ReplyDelete
  5. also...just enlarged the picture of your cut to show Charlie how cute you are. His comment: "That's a cool lego"...men.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahahahaha! That was Sam & Oliver's comment as well! That is really too funny!
    Everyone else- isn't Casey a hair artiste? Love him!

    ReplyDelete
  7. the little points on the neck line are my absolute favorite! love love love this...I'm only lamenting the fact that I won't see it in person. ugh.
    LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  8. There should be some phrase for fashionista mom that doesn't sound pretentious. I love this shirt as well--and the cut!

    ReplyDelete